Saturday, July 30, 2011

Good vs. Best

The photos in today's post are brought to you by: Last week's trip to the coast.

Last week, while I was writing THIS, Pastor Dan was also looking at Luke chapter 10. What he got out of it was totally different than what I had seen in it previously. His message was great so I thought I'd share it here with you.

As a refresher, here is the passage from Luke 10:38-42:

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” 

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


You can live a life OR you can live a life that matters!


Living a life that matters for something means learning to make choices wisely. Every day we are given countless opportunities to choose - countless ways to choose what is good or what is best. People who live lives that matter learn to discern what is Best from what is good. Our time here on Earth is very short - we need to choose the Best way to spend our time.

Mary and Martha were given the EXACT SAME choice. They both had the opportunity to prepare a meal and they both had the opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus. (I had NEVER noticed this before!!) Mary probably had other things to be doing at that time but she chose to create a moment with Jesus.

She made a deliberate choice to Worship!


Then Pastor Dan challenged us with this question:
If Jesus knocked on my door, would I make Him wait on the porch while I finished up my tasks? 'Oh just wait here a minute Lord, while I do the dishes and tidy the living room. You don't mind, do you?' Would I create time for Him? Would He be a priority?

Often times in life, the good things demand more of us then the Best things but they are NOT more important. Often the clamor of the good drowns out the whisper of the Best.


If Satan can't make you bad, he'll make you busy. Martha was busy. To choose busy is to choose what is good. So, am I justifying my busyness? Do I truly make Jesus and Worship of Him a priority in my life?

We are all given the same choice everyday. Today will you choose what is good or what is Best? I am striving for what is Best.

If you enjoy the blog - go ahead and share it! I've made it easy for you by including buttons at the bottom of the post for e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thanks!
May the Lord Bless you all as you seek to know Him better!

2 comments:

  1. Right up my alley, and right where I was thinking. I once heard an acronym for busy.
    Being Under Satan's Yoke.
    I personally think the word busy, and the act of being busy is something that implies unrest, not peaceful. I don't believe that the Lord calls us to be busy. The things He calls us to brings joy, peace.

    Since my semi-disconnect from FB, I haven't gone full fast yet due to notifying people (esp community group people & family), I have seen so much more peace. I have been able to accomplish so much more, I have been seeking Him SO much more. And getting a lot less frustrated. Not that it really has anything to do with the above mentioned things that the Lord calls us to, but just sitting at the feet of Jesus more, and de-cluttering our minds from all the worldly stuff is so peaceful, SO needed. So necessary. Lord help me not make myself busy, help me look to Your will, and only Your will for what I put my hands to!

    Thanks Shannon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, we are not called to be busy. Especially just for the sake of busyness, which so many people choose. Thanks for being here Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...