Thursday, July 21, 2011

Is His Grace Really Enough?

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

 Have you ever heard a song or watched a movie or read something that you have done many, many times before only to have it appear fresh to you on that particular day??

The other day I heard the song Your Grace Is Enough by Chris Tomlin. Now, I have heard this song probably hundreds of times. It is on my favorite Chris Tomlin CD (Arriving), we sing it in church, it's on my iPod. I know all the lyrics by heart. But this day somehow, the line that says Your grace is enough for me really stood out to me and I wondered -- Is it enough? Is it really enough?? I started to think of different circumstances where it might NOT be enough - things I have gone through and things that my friends and family are going through now. Is His grace REALLY enough to get us through those situations?? Who of us would answer that His grace is insufficient? I'm not sure that I know too many people who would answer that it is not. And yet, isn't that how we treat His grace by our behaviors? Don't we all have doubts - times where we lack a trust in His grace and His provision? Don't we doubt that the job will come through? Don't we fear when the bills come in? Do we trust when illness strikes? We struggle with depression, anxiety, addictions. All of these behaviors say that we don't believe that His grace is enough.

So, I wonder, if we truly recognized that His grace IS sufficient enough to carry us through anything:
  •  would we have more peace?
  • would we have more joy?
  • would we be less stressed?
  • would that be what it looks like to 'live by faith and not by sight'? (2 Corinthians 5:7)

I lived for many years with anxiety, fear and doubt. I didn't know how to trust God. It was scary to let go of that junk because I didn't know what I would have in place of it. I had absolutely no idea how wonderful His grace really was to receive!! How freeing it is to place my burdens at His feet and to trust that He will take care of them. I no longer need to worry! Praise God!!

And this whole wondering left me with an overwhelming sense that YES, IT IS ENOUGH!  My faith was strengthened by having followed that train of thought and realizing that there is not a situation on Earth where His grace would not be enough for me! There is absolutely NOTHING that could happen to me that He would not be there with me and for me. I am never abandoned, never alone! I am never left helpless and therefore I am NEVER HOPELESS!! What a comforting feeling that is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...