Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Are You In Your Comfort Zone? -- Numbers 33 - Part 1

First, a little background information: Israel, as a nation, as been lead out of Egypt by God. They are on their way to the Promised Land. God absolutely intends to bring that promise to fulfillment but because of their sin and their disobedience, they wander in the dessert for 40 years. For many years the whole wandering thing was very confusing to me. Why would God do that? It just didn't make any sense. But the more I read the Bible and build my relationship with God, the easier it is for me - I mean the sin and consequence part. But I think that may be another post for another time :)

The 33rd chapter of Numbers chronicles all the stops that the Israelites made during the 40 year period of wandering. The list begins at Ramses, which is in Egypt and ends with the death of Aaron, Moses' brother and the High Priest. During that time, the Israelites made 33 encampments in 40 years!! Just stop and think about that for a minute. WOW! They stopped and set up a *home* 33 times in 40 years! How did they know when to set up camp and when to set out from camp? This was a group of about 2 million people. How do you direct a group that size about when to move and when to stop?

Take a look at what I found back in chapter 9. Verses 17 - 19 say this:

Whenever the cloud lifted from above the tent, the Israelites set out; wherever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped. At the LORD’s command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped. As long as the cloud stayed over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the LORD’s order and did not set out. 

Isn't that interesting?? Only God could direct a group this large and have success. Can you imagine all the arguments that would have broken out if a mere man were trying to lead this group, even if that man was as well respected as Moses? That is an average *stop and rest* time of only 1 year and 2 1/2 months! How many of us have moved every year? Except some stops weren't even the length of a full year. So how long did each of these rest-stops last? Let's continue on in chapter 9, verses 20 - 23

Sometimes the cloud was over the tabernacle only a few days; at the LORD’s command they would encamp, and then at his command they would set out. Sometimes the cloud stayed only from evening till morning, and when it lifted in the morning, they set out. Whether by day or by night, whenever the cloud lifted, they set out. Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. At the LORD’s command they encamped, and at the LORD’s command they set out. They obeyed the LORD’s order, in accordance with his command through Moses. 

Would you say that that is an interesting way to live? They never knew from one day to the next if they would be staying or packing up and going. I can imagine that it would feel very unsettling, the not knowing. I am way to much of a control person to live like this. I don't like surprises and I want to know the plans ahead of time. I can feel for them being in this situation! But in this way of life, God was showing them their need to be dependent on Him but He was also showing them that He was worthy of their dependence; that He would not let them down.

So what does all this have to do with us today you might ask. We are New Testament Believers. We don't live in tents. We don't have God directing us with clouds. So what can we learn from this passage?
  • First, the Israelites were not allowed to get comfortable in any of their surroundings. The *comfort zone* is not a part of God's plan. I haven't found anyone yet in the Bible whom God was trying to use that He did not stretch beyond their comfort zone. I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but if you want to be used by God, you're probably going to have to get out of your Easy Chair. 
I can see back over the course of even the last year, that God has brought about circumstances in my life that I would never have predicted. He has given me opportunities to grow as a person that I simply would not have chosen on my own. Last winter, He moved the pastor of our church and his family from Maine to Alabama. No one saw that coming but I can see that because they were willing to head His calling, that many people in Maine and in Alabama have been blessed.

So, I guess if I want to be used by God (and I do) then I had better keep my *moving shoes* laced up and be ready! He could choose to move me out of my comfort zone at any time!

May He bless you all today as you seek to know Him better!

You might also enjoy:



    4 comments:

    1. I always enjoy reading your blog! I love how you apply the Word to everyday life. Thanks for posting!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you Susan for telling me you enjoy the blog! That encourages me to continue! I am glad that you're getting something out of it.God Bless ~ Shannon

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for the insight Shannon. I never looked at the 40 years that way. Keep it up. I love reading your blog.

      ReplyDelete

    I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...