Sunday, July 17, 2011

Book Review - God Said Yes

For a while now I have wanted to do a monthly book review on the blog. I enjoy reading and thought that I would like to share with you what I am reading and what I thought of each book. Here is the book review for July - God Said Yes by Heather Hornback-Bland.






This book was given to me by a friend at church (she also follows the blog - Thanks Steph!) It's a true story about Heather who was run over by a car when she was 4 years old.

The accident happened in the 1970's, before we had seat belt laws but even so, it was just an accident. The car had been parked on a slope. She was kneeling on the front seat, talking to the kids in the backseat. Because of the slope the car was on, her mother thought that her door was shut, but it wasn't - it was simply held closed by gravity. When her mother started to drive, the door opened and, by the force of gravity, Heather fell out of the car and the front wheel rolled over her belly!!

The book tells of her mother's faith that everything would be alright and how she instilled that belief in Heather. But it also tells of Heather's strength and courage. She shouldn't have survived the accident - but she did. She shouldn't have survived the ambulance ride - but she did. She certainly shouldn't have survived through the first surgery (her internal organs were such a mangled mess, that most of them were indistinguishable one from another!) - but survive she did. And even thrived! Her mother never allowed her to give in to pity or despair.

At the time that the book was published (2006), Heather was in her late 30's. She had (at that time) gone through 187 operations. This is the story of how she survived by living off of hope every day. Of how she choose to look for God's Joys in life, in the midst of pain - physical and emotional - and trials, how He so faithfully provided joy for her.

This was a really good book and I would recommend it. It definitely encouraged me!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    I've missed you lately. Glad you liked the book. It's in my pile I'm reading. I haven't had much time for reading lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph - I pray you and your family are well. I have missed you too. I hope you can find some quiet time to read this book. It was really good. Thanks for giving me a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon, I think this is an excellent idea of doing book reviews. I also love to read and it's always good to know others comments of books they have read. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...