Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another Visit From Mary & Martha

 Last night, the story of Mary and Martha came up again as I was doing the devotion with the kids.(If you are new to the blog or just want a refresher, you can read my previous post about Mary and Martha HERE.)  I have included the passage from Luke chapter 10 below for you to read for yourself:

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
   “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I was seeing some Martha behavior at the dinner table and after we read the story together, they saw it too. I asked each of them to share what they saw in the story. Colin always has an interesting point of view. This wasn't a 'profound' insight but I guess what makes it interesting to me is that he doesn't want to have anything to do with reading the Bible and yet he will come out with some great insights. (He is 12, by the way). He said that Martha was only interested in work but Mary was interested in Jesus. I guess when you boil it down to it's basic story, this is true. I haven't seen Martha in that light in a long time. It's nice to see a story through fresh eyes! Zoe didn't really see anything in the story. I think really, what she saw was herself and she wasn't thrilled. But who of us has not looked in the mirror and seen Martha staring back at one time or another (Or in my case - DAILY!!)

Here's what I saw this time around. Mary had her focus on Jesus. He even said of her that she had chosen what was better. But Martha, her own sister, criticized her choice! She was criticized!! For choosing to worship!! By someone who also knew Jesus!! When I realized that, it kind of blew me away! And I wondered, how often are we on a path that we know, beyond the shadow of a doubt is the path that God has for us, and yet our choice draws out critics from every direction. It's true that sometimes it comes from acquaintances but more often then not, our biggest and toughest critics are those that are closest to us. And I was curious to note Mary's reaction to her critic - NOTHING! She didn't allow herself to get sidetracked by the feelings that the criticism must have evoked. She didn't allow herself to get sidetracked by defending her actions. She never said a word! AND JESUS PRAISED HER FOR IT!! He praised her actions but He was also praising that way that she handled the situation. 


How often are we the ones that are the critics? Are we supportive of someone who is on the path that God has for them or do we try to derail them? I know I have done it. And how often do we do it to other believers? I'm not talking about stopping someone from going down a self-destructive path here. I'm talking about people who are living for the Lord. Friends, let us not treat each other this way!


Or how often do we allow ourselves to get sidetracked? Mary wasn't sidetracked and SHE GOT PRAISED! I want that! I want His praise over my choices and my life!! I admit, I am very easily sidetracked. This is something that I have realized lately that I need to work harder on.


Gracious and Loving Heavenly Father, I came to You and confess that I am easily distracted by the cares and concerns of this life.  I ask for your power in my life today that I may be more focused on You and less susceptible to being distracted and sidetracked. I know I cannot do it own my own but I trust in Your guidance for my life. In Jesus Name, Amen

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Shannon! Thank you for sharing and for linking up with us. Blessings xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I found you on the Raising Mighty Arrows blog hop and it's funny I also linked up a post on Mary and Martha!
    Hope you have a good evening.
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather and Stefanie, Thank you both for stopping by. Have a great day :)
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. This is exactly what happened at one point in our life. We felt criticized for a decision made, mind you we had prayed for a YEAR before we felt the Lord speak. And when He did, it was beyond a shadow of a doubt. It is crazy how fellow Christians (and us) can look critically at other's callings. And I too can be easily distracted. So very easily, or bumped by someone else's reaction to what I am doing. Oh Lord please work out of me the need for other's approval. At the end of the day all that matters is if we are right before the Lord. Thanks Shannon. If you happen to find comments on all your blogs tonight, know I am going through them ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...