Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I Am Not Ashamed!

The events of earlier this week had me thinking back to another time when I had drama in my life. It was drama that was similar to what I'm going through now and a co-worker told me not to tell anyone at work. I think she may have been trying to protect me from any gossip or something, but I just didn't see the point in hiding it. I hadn't done anything wrong so why should I be ashamed?

So that has led my train of thoughts down the road that got me thinking: people who have lived with alcoholics or  had any kind of abuse in their past are ashamed. I know that for years I didn't want people to know what life with Zoe and Colin's father was really like. I know that I hid alot of stuff and covered it up. I'm pretty sure that that is normal behavior in those circumstances. There is also some junk in my childhood that I was definitely ashamed of for many years. But I have discovered that when you are open and honest about your challenges and your struggles (like I have been this week) that you never know who you might be an encouragement to. I have learned this week of someone at work who is going through something very similar. I didn't know this before I opened up. Now I am hoping that maybe I can be an encouragement to her. Sometimes all you need is to know that you're not alone. The other thing that I have learned about being open and honest is that secrets have a way of owning you. There is no freedom in that. There is no joy in that. They only way to lessen the power of a secret is to be open about it. (Remember, Jesus is TRUTH!! John 14:6) So, I am not going to live my life bottled up and ashamed. I am seeking to bless and encourage someone with my trials! Otherwise, what's the point? (And yes I do see that there is the thing of personal growth that takes place through trials. But why keep that to yourself?)

In happier news, Colin seems to be doing very well this week. I think he is relieved to be home even though he won't admit it. Pastor Dan picked him up yesterday and spent the day with him. He and his family are such a blessing to us!! Thank you all so much for all of your prayers!! They really do mean the world to me :)

So, I will end this post with something else that I am NOT ashamed of: Jesus Christ!



Have a wonderful day everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, Both my parents were alcoholics which pretty much destroyed their lives. When I lived on the farm with my Grandmother my Uncle tried to physically molest me but God in His mighty wisdom kept me from getting hurt.
    I believe God sometimes allows us to go through the fire just so we could be there for others who especially don't know Jesus. Thank you for sharing. So glad Colin is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you also for sharing Grandma. And how wonderful of God to protect you!! I am so happy for you about that!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...