Monday, June 20, 2011

Get Me Outta This Monday!! (or how Big Is Your God?)

I think I posted that Emotional Roller Coaster post too early! I am starting to feel like 'Get Me Off This Ride!!'

We have two fathers in our family. Zoe and Colin have their biological father and then the have Matt, their step-dad. Colin still chooses to visit with his father so he goes every Saturday, just for the day. We meet in a public place for the pick-up and drop-off. It's not a great situation and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but it is our reality.

Last Saturday Colin's father did not bring him back. He kept him. Custody is a civil matter so police cannot enforce it. I had to wait until Monday to do anything about it. Needless to say, it was a long week-end.

I will spare you all the boring, legal details of my day -- code for: Matt and I sat in the courthouse for 4 hours just waiting!! But I will share with you the little nuggets that got me through the day.

*On the way home from the funeral on Saturday, my sister, Sarah and our mom and I were all talking about how if you never put God to the test, then you will never really find out just how Big He is. I am all for finding out how Big and Powerful God is, but I often forget that you don't learn that on the mountaintop! Only through our trials can we see His Power at work. During the good times in life, He isn't Big simply because we don't need him to be. Today I put my faith and my trust in a Big God and He came through for me!!

*The first song I heard this morning was Everlasting God by Jeremy Camp. (You can listen to it HERE.) It has a line that repeats and says 'Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord.' You never know the truth of that if you never have to WAIT!

*Before I left the house, I went around and collected up all of the 'pocket verses' that I could find and put them in my bag.  I took them out during the wait. Here are the ones that stood out to me today:
  • Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
  • In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:4
  • There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord. Proverbs 21:30
  • I have learned the secret of being content in ANY and EVERY situation. Philippians 4:12b
 So, as I sit here and type, no Colin is not home yet. We are continuing to wait. The paperwork is done. That was the hard part. Now we wait for the papers to be served and then Colin will come home. I want to encourage each of you today to put your challenges and your trials in God's Hands and let Him reveal to you just How Big He is!! Sometimes it's not easy to do. Today my choice was panic or trust. I chose Trust. I don't know if the outcome of my day was different because of that, but the day itself was certainly better for it!!

I love you all and thank you for your prayers for Colin! May the Lord Bless you all as you seek to know Him better!!

5 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and dear Colin. I find your faith to be an inspiration, I am not certain I could be as strong as you are in this situation. I hope you are at least able to talk to him, he must be a little scared. Please keep us posted.

    Love,
    Rona

    ReplyDelete
  2. HE'S HOME!! I'm exhausted. I'm off for a good night's sleep (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God from whom ALL Blessings flow. Shannon, all through this day your focus was on God and who He is and Trust in what He can do. Your focus was not on self (without God). He gave you His peace knowing Colin would return. Not only you but this is a lesson for me and all who read your blog. God Has Blessed you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God, Colin is home safe. Thank you for being so open and sharing with us. I am truly blessed to know you. You are a woman of strong faith and I wish I could say mine was that strong. You taught me a lot and it just reminded me how big out God truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to thank you again for your prayers for Colin and for your encouragement with the blog :) You are all a blessing to me and I pray for you all the time!
    ~Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...