Monday, June 27, 2011

Confirmation!

Do you ever feel like you could just use a little confirmation from God? Which decision to make or which job to take? Am I on the right track or should I be doing something different? Or maybe, it's something just as simple as a question that is on your heart and you need it answered. That was what happened to me this week.

(I'll give you a little background here and I'll try to be brief! LOL)
Our Pastor (not Pastor Dan but I'll get to that) and his family came to Maine from Alabama to start a church. They were here 6 1/2 years and started 3 churches and were planning the 4th church when God called them back to Alabama. I think they were more shocked than any of us!! Anyway, Pastor Dan was the Associate Pastor so he stepped up and on Father's Day we voted him in to be our 'official' Pastor. For the most part, the transition at church has gone very smoothly. We were determined as a church family to do whatever it took to maintain our unity. (Ephesians 4:3). Well, as is expected, some people left the church but the most amazing thing is that from the very first week that Dan stepped up to lead us, there have been more and more new people at church! It has been amazing to watch God bless the work that we are doing at this church!

Now, I'm rambling at little bit. LOL So, these people who have stepped away from God and from their faith, are still my friends. They are still people that I care about. But their 'bump in the road' really got me to thinking about my own faith and wondering how strong it was. I asked Matt one day, 'Would there be a time when I wouldn't walk with God?' This was serious to me! I really wondered that. There have been times in the past when I have walked away. Could it happen again? Matt's answer was very simply 'I don't think that would happen to you.' He also seemed a little surprised that I was wondering about it. So, then I asked Pastor Dan. The first thing he said that we aren't going to worry about it. Ok, so No Dwelling. Got it!
Then he said that usually when that happens to someone, it is from one of two things: It happens gradually and they don't even notice that they are moving away from God OR an event happens that shakes them and they loose their faith because it wasn't strong or rooted. (I think this is illustrated in the parable of the seeds. Matt 13:3-23; Mk 4:2-20; Lk 8:4-15).

Well, I am feeling very much like God took care of that concern for me. You see, last week when I was going through my trial of not knowing how Colin was (because I couldn't reach them by phone), not knowing when he was going be home or how I was going to get him home, I didn't panic. Yes, I cried. Yes, I told God that I DID NOT want to go through this. Yes, I knew that there was a lesson in this for someone, even though I didn't know who or how. But panic, no. It didn't even occur to me to panic. Now, I have talked to several people over the last week, and especially during those 2 1/2 days without him, that wondered how I could be calm. When I go back and read the post that I made from that day (you can read it HERE) there is definitely a peace about it. Honestly, I don't even remember writing that post. The afternoon was a blur to me but I can see that through the whole ordeal, my default reaction was GOD. I can see that I kept my focus on Him. He truly is my Rock!

I also wanted to clarify a small error that I made in that post. The first song I heard in the car was Everlasting God, but I had put my iPod on earlier and this was one of the songs that came on it:


I love the lyrics at the 2 minute point that say 'Take my life and let it be ALL for You and for Your Glory'. Well, I remember hearing this song on that Monday morning and singing those lyrics out loud, sort of as a declaration from me to Him. This was such a wonderful feeling to still be able to offer my life to Him in the midst of trials. To still be willing to offer it to Him without knowing what the day would hold. It was just so precious of Him to show me what my gut reaction would be, to know that I wouldn't fall away. That's priceless!! 

ps-please don't read this and think 'Oh that's great for her but it would never happen for me'. I have put the effort into my relationship with God. I have spent the time with Him that it took to build this faith. You can have that too. If you feel that maybe your faith wouldn't stand this trial, why don't you start today to build your relationship with Him? My faith wasn't born overnight, you know ;)

May the Lord bless you all as you seek to know Him better!


4 comments:

  1. A great message for all of us. I know I have crossed that path of questioning in my life and I'm so thankful for God's Word to seek His truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am so thankful that He make His truths available to us! And I think that questioning is good sometimes. I think it can make our faith stronger in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shannon, I've been feeling a little distant lately and you made me realize that it take effort it just doesn't go "poof" here it is. I love that you're so open and willing to share your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's never far away Steph. Isn't that comforting?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...