Thursday, June 2, 2011

For The Love of The Game :)

 Recently I was give the opportunity to examine my definition of success. And to look at how I am passing on that belief to my children.

Colin loves to play baseball. He also loves Track. This Spring I gave him the choice of playing baseball or running track with his best friend Aaron. He chose baseball. I have to admit that this was a little bit of a disappointment to me. I really wanted him to run. I feel that he succeeds easier at track than he does at baseball.

Last year, we got halfway through baseball season and Colin wanted to quit. I said No. So we stuck it out. In his mind, he wasn't playing well. He was struggling to get hits and it wasn't fun. But he had made the commitment so we finished the season out. He has never wanted to quit track. I feel that it comes more naturally to him. He succeeds easier at it.

Well, this year, I have been trying to think of ways to *get* him to run track next year instead of choosing to play baseball. But when I stopped and compared this year to last, this is what I discovered:

  • He really isn't playing any better than last year. He contributes to the team but he's not a *power * player.
  • His attitude is absolutely 100 percent better than last year!!! He hasn't asked to quit even once.
  • So the problem really is mine.
I am/have been looking at success in terms of performance. This is not a new pattern for me. My daughter is an overachiever. I have created that monster. I'll admit it. My children know that I love them no matter what, but I do push them to do their best. I don't think that there is anything wrong with striving for your best. But does it come at the price of Joy? Colin chose to play baseball for the love of the game! Good for him! I was so focused on his *performance* that I had neglected to recognize or applaud him for his heart. His great attitude during this year's season should be celebrated!!

So, as I was thinking this morning of what this post would look like, thinking of success, happiness, performance, etc, Mary and Martha came back to me! Martha is our Performance and Mary is our Heart. Jesus is more concerned with our heart than with our performance. And we probably should be too :)

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, My Rock and My Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, Make sure you keep these blogs or make a copy for yourself. I believe they will help you and your children in the future. It sounds like you are a loving Mother who really cares about her children. God HAS blessed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought to keep a copy. Thanks for the idea. And thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...